It’s Time to Jazz up that Boring Kibble
Ever think that it sure would be great if you could add a little something fun and tasty to your dog’s regular kibble? After all, eating the same kibble day after day must get a little boring for your pooch, right? Well, I couldn’t agree more! I’m always on the lookout for ways to “JAZZ” up my miniature Goldendoodle’s meals, so I figured, why not make a handy list of some of the best dog food toppers I have discovered? Keep reading to discover ideas for dog food toppers I have tried and loved, as well as suggestions from other dog owners.
What is a Dog Food Topper?
Dog food toppers are additions you make to your dog’s regular kibble. For example, you may add some raw dog food, lean meat, cheese, broth, or some sort of cut-up fruit or vegetable. There are companies that sell dog food topper products, or you can make your own by using foods you already have in your fridge. No matter what dog food your dog eats, dog food toppers allow for a fun and easy way to add some extra nutrition and hydration to your dog’s day. The best dog food toppers are foods that are nutritious and ones that your dog absolutely loves!
Benefits of Dog Food Toppers
Different toppers have different benefits, depending on what you choose. Also, a topper is just that. A topper. It should only be a fraction of your dog’s total meal. It’s essential to be mindful of not just what you feed, but also how much you feed, to maximize the benefits for your dog. Try to keep your dog’s overall treats and toppers to 10% or less of their daily diet. Some benefits of using a dog food topper include:
- Entice a picky eater
- A wet topper will help to boost hydration for your pup
- Added nutrition
- Add flavour and variety to your dog’s meals
- Aid in administering medications or supplements
- A fun treat
The Best Food Toppers
Food toppers take many forms. Whether they be store-bought or prepared in your kitchen, there are many options available. I will include two lists for you to browse through. The first one will include toppers made specifically for dogs that you can purchase, all ready to go! The second list will include toppers you can prepare at home. Bon appétit!
Dog Food Toppers for Purchase – Links Provided!
Want an easy way to add a delicious and nutritious food topper without having to go to all the work to make your own? Well, you’re in luck! Here is a list of toppers that are convenient and already expertly formulated to provide your pooch with the healthiest and tastiest options available.
- Stella & Chewy’s Freeze-Dried Raw Cage-Free Chicken Recipe Marie’s Magical Dinner Dust – Only the good stuff! 95% meat, organs and bones + organic fruits and veggies.
- WAG Wet Dog Food Topper, Chicken & Lamb Brown Rice Stew
- Instinct Healthy Cravings Grain Free Recipe Variety Pack Natural Wet Dog Food Topper – Natural wet dog food topper with savory gravy that comes in a convenient pouch.
- Instinct Freeze Dried Raw Boost Mixers Gut Health – Made with whole food ingredients for digestive health – cage-free chicken, pumpkin, sweet potato, chicory root, apple cider vinegar & probiotics. Made without grain, potato, corn, wheat, soy, artificial colors, or preservatives.
- Stella & Chewy’s Freeze-Dried Raw Chewy’s Chicken Meal Mixers Dog Food Topper – Perfect for picky eaters!
- Wellness CORE Simply Shreds Natural Grain Free Wet Dog Food Mixer or Topper, Chicken, Beef & Carrots – Shreds of tender, high quality protein with nutrient-rich veggies in broth add a savory taste and texture to your dog’s bowl
- The Honest Kitchen Bone Broth POUR OVERS™ Wet Toppers for Dogs – Unlike most pet food, which is feed grade, this recipe is 100% human grade – made with human grade ingredients and produced in a human food facility. That means higher quality ingredients and more safety standards, just like you’d expect from your own food.
- The Honest Kitchen Daily Boosters: Instant Beef Bone Broth with Turmeric for Dogs – This functional bone broth is irresistibly tasty, with an extra helping of protein. Serve as a warming treat, pour over kibble or use to hydrate your Honest Kitchen.
- Wellness CORE Bowl Boosters Joint Health Dog Food Topper – Also comes in varieties for digestive health, heart health, immune health, and skin and coat.
- Herbsmith Kibble Seasoning – Freeze Dried Duck – Dog Food Topper for Picky Eaters – Human-grade fruits and veggies with real, raw meats for dogs.
- CESAR SIMPLY CRAFTED Adult Soft Wet Dog Food Meal Topper – Comes in a variety pack: Chicken, Carrot, Potato & Peas and Chicken, Sweet Potato, Apple, Barley & Spinach.
- CARU Daily Dish Broth Meal Topper – Vet formulated without GMO ingredients, added preservatives, colors, onions, garlic or MSG
- JustFoodforDogs Dog Food Toppers – Chicken & Rice Stew – Contains no preservatives and is specifically formulated to be a nutritious topper option.
- ORIJEN Freeze Dried Dog Food & Topper, Grain Free, High Protein, Premium Raw Meat – Using raw animal ingredients, including meat, organs, cartilage, and bone, ORIJEN is the Biologically Appropriate, grain-free, protein-rich diet that dogs have evolved to eat
- The Honest Kitchen Pumpkin POUR OVERS Wet Toppers for Dogs – Made with fibre-rich and nourishing pumpkin, these chunky meal enhancers support healthy digestion for dogs of all ages & breeds.
- Wellness Bowl Natural Pet Food Boosters Tender Toppers – Crafted with superfoods and formulated using only premium, all-natural ingredients to support whole-body health.
- Weruva Pumpkin Patch Up!, Pumpkin Puree Pet Food Supplement – Pumpkins are naturally rich in soluble & insoluble fibres which help support gut Motility & stool quality.
Homemade Dog Food Toppers
Want to try making your own healthy food toppers? Well, it’s pretty easy, considering nutritious homemade food toppers are probably items you already have in your fridge! For example, homemade dog food toppers include everything from fruits, veggies, dairy, meats, and broths. However, not all fruits are good for your dog. To learn more about which fruits are safe and which are toxic, click here. In addition, many of the homemade dog food toppers listed here can also fill a Kong. Visit The 10 Best Healthy KONG Filler Ideas to learn more about the nutritional benefits and safe portion sizes of some toppers listed here.
- Pure canned pumpkin (my dog’s favourite!)
- Greek plain yogurt – (try freezing in ice cube trays for a cold treat on a hot day!)
- Sweet potato
- Lean ground beef
- Low sodium broth
- Raw freeze-dried food
- Wet food
- Chicken Hearts
- Boiled chicken
- Ground lean turkey (no seasoning)
- Steamed broccoli florets
- Cut up apple
- Banana slices
- Chopped carrots
- Canned salmon
- Sardines – canned with no added salt
- Salmon oil
- Frozen peas
- Green beans
- Cubed liver
- Butternut squash
- Peanut butter – Only peanuts. No added salt. No xylitol!!
- Baby food – ensure there is no garlic or onion
- Bell peppers
We all want to provide the healthiest and tastiest food for our dogs. Adding one or more of the dog food toppers that I have provided here is a fantastic way to boost the nutrition and taste factor of your dog’s regular kibble. In my experience, the best thing to do is to experiment with different flavours and combinations and soon you will discover what toppers make your dog the happiest!
Happy Tail Wags. xo
Money can buy you a fine dog, but only love can make him wag his tail.Kinky Friedman