Juno Helps Mom Bake Cookies
It’s another day of extreme cold warnings here in Winnipeg, so Mom and I decided to do some baking. Mom had told my brother that she would bake him and his roommates some chocolate chip cookies and this morning seemed like the perfect time to do some baking. Once I saw her start to gather the ingredients, this Goldendoodle was all set to help. I got my baker’s hat on and positioned myself right in front of the counter where all the action was taking place.
Good News Bad News
Lucky for my mom, I really am a wonderful help when it comes to baking. I stay so close and stare at what she is doing the whole time. I’m ready to assist should she need me. No dozing off on the job here! Can you blame me? The aromas are spectacular and one never knows if a bit of batter may accidentally drop on the floor. The good news is that the cookies smelled and looked amazing through the whole process. The longer I had to inhale the delicious scents, the more my tail wagged in anticipation. Sadly, no batter dropped on the floor, but that’s okay because I was willing to wait for the cookies to come out of the oven. I was such a big help. I knew my mom would be happy to share the finished product. I put on my sweetest face as I waited for my reward. Then mom broke the devastating news. I would not be getting a cookie because dogs CANNOT have CHOCOLATE!
Why Chocolate is Toxic to Dogs
I’m sorry. WHAT? Dogs cannot have chocolate? How is this fair? I had stood between my mom and the counter the whole time ready to help! Now she was telling me that I wouldn’t be getting a cookie. Not even a taste. As I absorbed the news, I could feel my heart shatter into pieces as I sobbed. That’s when mom explained to me that I couldn’t have chocolate because it is very toxic to dogs. Although it is rarely fatal, it can cause significant illness. Apparently, chocolate is similar to caffeine and contains a chemical called theobromine. It’s okay for humans to have theobromine and it is even used for medical purposes in humans. It is a diuretic, heart stimulant, blood vessel dilator, and smooth muscle relaxant. However, dogs are more sensitive to theobromine because they are unable to metabolize it as humans can.
Are All Types of Chocolate Toxic to Dogs?
Not all types of chocolate contain the same concentrations of theobromine. Mom told me that gourmet dark chocolate and baking chocolate are extremely bad for dogs, milk chocolate is in the middle, and white chocolate only has a very small amount of theobromine. This doesn’t mean that white chocolate is safe though, as dogs can still become ill from the fat and sugar in the chocolate. For most dogs that ingest chocolate, symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst, panting or restlessness, excessive urination, and racing heart rate can be experienced. However, in severe cases, symptoms can include muscle tremors, seizures, and heart failure. This all sounded really scary and now I understood why I couldn’t have any chocolate chip cookies. I thought mom didn’t appreciate my help, but really it was because Mom didn’t want me to get sick. Thanks Mom! To learn more about chocolate toxicity in dogs, please visit Everything You Need to Know About Dogs and Chocolate.
Mom Saves the Day
After Mom saw how upset I was about the chocolate chip cookies she decided to make it up to me. She assured me that we would bake cookies that were healthy for Goldendoodles. I was so excited to bake cookies especially for me. We added ingredients that I could eat like pumpkin, peanut butter, cinnamon, eggs, and flour. Again, the smells were intoxicating and I couldn’t wait to have a taste. I am so happy that there are healthy cookie recipes just for dogs because this Goldendoodle LOVES treats!!! Woof!
Happy Tail Wags. xo
Follow Juno on Social Media
Money can buy you a fine dog, but only love can make him wag his tail.Kinky Friedman